The Sudan Ministry of Health established, with support from WHO, the Higher College of Nursing in 1956 to graduate girls with diploma to work with the health team, in both preventive and curative fields, to raise the standard of individuals, family and society. The college was affiliated in 1973 to the Ministry of Higher Education.
The college was assigned the functions of Khartoum High Institute of Midwives, Ministry of Health, and started to award the Diploma of Midwifery in 1974.
In 1992 the three-year diploma program was upgraded to a four-year bachelor degree of nursing and only one batch has graduated.
In May 1994, based on the decision of the Senate of the University of Khartoum and the approval of the University Council, the College was renamed the School of Higher Nursing and affiliated to the Faculty of Medicine, University of Khartoum. In the same year, the College began to receive male students. In 2001, the Senate of the University of Khartoum approved the upgrading of the School of Nursing to the Faculty of Nursing Sciences.
- Academic Degrees:
1. The Faculty of Nursing Sciences offers a general bachelor's degree (4 years) in Nursing Sciences and a bachelor honors degree (5 years) in the following specialties:
- Medical Nursing.
- Obstetric and Gynecological Nursing
- Family and Community Health Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing
- Psychiatry and Mental Health Nursing.
- University Award for the best academic performance in year bachelor program (four years)
- College Award for the best academic performance in each level.
- College Award for the second-best academic performance in each level.
- Disciplines Awards- Level IV.
1. Medical Surgical Nursing.
2. Mother and Child Health Nursing
3. Community Health Nursing
4. Psychiatry and Mental Health Nursing.
3. In December 1997, the Senate of the University of Khartoum approved the degree of Master of Sciences in Nursing in the following specialties:
1- Master of Sciences in Medical Surgical Nursing.
2- Master of Sciences in Maternal and Child Health Nursing.
3- Master of Sciences in Community Health Nursing.
4- Master of Sciences in Mental and Psychiatric Health Nursing.
4. PhD Program in Nursing Science: Khartoum University Council passed in its meeting No. (364) dated 10/08/2009 the PhD program in nursing science by courses and research in six semesters in the following fields:
- PhD in Nursing Science (Medical).
- PhD in Nursing Science (Surgical).
- PhD in Nursing Science (Obstetrics and Gynecology). PhD in Nursing Science (Pediatric Health).
- PhD in Nursing Science (Family and Community Health).
- PhD in Nursing Science (Mental Health).
- The program actually began in 07/01/2010.
- A number of 68 credit hours to Ph.D.
Vision , Mession and Goals
Faculty of Nursing was established and became an independent college which had its own administrative and academic board in addition to some academic departments and an administration to run it under the supervision of the National Council for Higher Education, to train sufficient number of males and females to work as qualified nurses To work locally, regionally and internationally.